Teacher Leader Institute
"I loved it! The Teacher Leader Institute absolutely changed me as a teacher. It was a pivotal moment in my career. It helped me define myself and my role as a leader. Thank you for giving me the opportunity.""
~ Forum 22 Graduate
Purpose: The Teacher Leader Institute and Teacher Leader Institute Tier 2 develop Arkansas public school teacher-leaders who are continuous learners and are actively engaged in a statewide, networked learning community which supports the use of diverse teaching and learning practices that will result in high teacher performance and student achievement.
- Current PreK-12 teachers
- Teacher Learning Coaches (Teacher Leader Institute graduates)
Objectives: Teachers make changes in their leadership, teaching, and learning practices which increase adult and student achievement through the following performance areas:
- Setting Clear and Compelling Direction
- Shaping Culture for Learning
- Leading and Managing Change
- Transforming Teaching and Learning
- Managing Accountability Systems
Teachers positively influence others to implement benchmark practices, action research, reflection, and collaboration with others. Teachers provide leadership for cultural, system, and policy changes that result in increased adult and student achievement.
The Institute is looking for informal leaders (classroom teachers), as well as formal leaders (instructional facilitators/coaches). The ideal nominees are teachers who:
- Have a desire to improve student achievement by creating systems to build and sustain high performing professional learning communities.
- Are respected by their peers and hold high expectations for adult and student learners.
- Believe to change others, you must be willing to change yourself.
- Are able to commit the time to attend and participate at all the required sessions.
Length of Institute:
- Session 1: four days residential
- Session 2: three days residential
- Session 3: three days residential
- Session 4: three days residential
Location: The Winthrop Rockefeller Institute, Morrilton
Expenses: Costs are paid by the Arkansas Leadership Academy. Participants (districts) are asked to pay transportation costs to and from the institute sessions as well as substitute costs.
Application: To apply for the Teacher Leader Institute, mail the application to the Arkansas Leadership Academy, 1 University of Arkansas, WAAX 300, Fayetteville, AR 72701 or fax to (479) 575-8663.
Page last updated: 6/19/2015 1:40 PM